Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Inaugural post



Convocation and Magda, my roomate!
Ridiculously long line for the equally ridiculous fire safety activty
Hey peoples. First week at Miami is about halfway through and I'm having a good time. Classes are relatively challenging, professors are cool, and people are awesome. I had several meetings these past few days, some necessary, some silly. Its blazing hot, which makes walking around to said meetings and classes a pain, but hopefully it'll cool down soon. I'm kicking myself over not having air conditioning... I'm not in my room a lot during the day though so it could be worse. Choir tryouts were today, and it went great! Scales went well, and I did the sight reading correctly the second time through! The director asked me if I sang soprano before (I had alto marked down) and when I told him that I've trained as a soprano he said he could tell. All good things! I've had many fun and interesting conversations with people, and have at least one buddy in every class except Latin 201... sigh. That class is at 8:30 AM too so it might take awhile for me to get more into it. There are only about 7 people in the class, which doesn't help. I've been invited by Annie to a reception with President Hodge tomorrow, and opened my mailbox for the first time to get said invitations! Met another Luxembourg native, as well as a veeeeeeery exercise-minded rugby player from Sri Lanka today at dinner. Erickson dining hall is BEAUTIFUL. It has so many choices AND salad AND DIFFERENT DESSERT EVERYDAY SO HELP ME.
Buff rugby man Dilushka and his roommate Julio (who likes Doctor Who and has the same posters as me, bless him)
Its in the neighboring hall and is my new favorite place to get dinner. I've been pretty much keeping up with homework, but I'll probably do some tonight while I wait for my laundry to finish. Or afterwards, as I type this I just got a message on my phone that said my laundry is almost done drying. So probably afterwards. Magda and I are doing laundry together to save money/water. We get along very well.
Our room yo. Big with cool windows and even cooler decorations. My bed is on the left.
She suggested we see the play in the park uptown and we had a wonderful time there last night. My butt got wet from sitting in the grass, and I laughed so hard I was out of breath. It was a very hilarious rendition of A Midsummer Night's Dream by the Cincinnati theatre company. Overall I'm having a good time! I feel better now that the choir tryout is over, but I'll feel even better once my riding tryout on Tuesday is over, and once I finish my presentation in Classics that is coming up very soon. I. Hate. Presentations. I f you know me you know that very well. I'll be so happy when that's over. For now however, I'm happy! Oh, laundry is finished! Thats my cue...


Love and Honor, niihka (friend in Myaamia language)

Katie
Dumb Kyle took this while I was talking

1 comment:

  1. i love the updates! your such a good writer. must have gotten that from me! :-)

    ReplyDelete